The Nebraska Indian Community College provides quality higher education and opportunities for life-long learning to Umonhon (Omaha) and Isanti (Santee Sioux) and other learners
NICC is envisioned as a comprehensive Tribal College which values service through high quality education. The college is distinctive in serving the diverse people of the Umonhon (Omaha) and Isanti (Santee Sioux) Nations. NICC features an enriched living and learning environment and year-round operation. The identity of the college is framed by a substantive commitment to multicultural learning.
Institutional programs value and cultivate the creative and productive talents of learners, faculty, and staff, and seek ways to contribute to the self-sufficiency of the Nations served, the well being of our communities, and the quality of life and development of its learners, faculty, and service areas.
Our Overall Goals
- Prepare individuals for their roles as effective tribal members and citizens in a changing and complex environment.
- Integrate, revitalize and preserve Umonhon and Isanti culture throughout the college environment, including but not limited to: history, Umonhon language, Dakota language, games, songs, arts/crafts and the way of life.
- Expose students to and expand the mission driven curriculum in the arts, humanities, communication, sciences, mathematics, social sciences, and Native American studies.
- Build skills for lifelong learning.
- Provide an enhanced, sustainable, positive learning environment.
- Organize, manage, and finance high education for NICC as a model Tribal College.
- Integrate learning in ways that cultivate an individual's understanding and ability to think about large and complex subjects, formulate and analyze valid concepts, solve problems, and clarify values.
Our Core Values
The College is also committed to the following beliefs and core values:
- Cultural preservation, continuity, and revitalization with the Umonhon (Omaha) and Isanti (Santee Sioux) peoples' needs, including languages and Tribal knowledge, are key elements of the college.
- Learning is a life-long process and that the learner centered atmosphere is of the utmost importance.
- Safe and healthy working and learning environment promotes free expression and the exchange of ideas so learners will be challenged to think holistically, and to live responsibly and productively in a Tribal and global society.
NICC Information learn more about our college
Newsletter Keep up to date with NICC
Quote of the Day
…everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence. – Mourning Dove Salish